SRSS Interview Questions
SQL server reporting services which is commonly referred to as SSRS is a component of the Microsoft and it is used to create reports with help of graphs, charts and maps as well as other visual techniques. You can use SSRS to create, manage, test as well as deploy reports to the users of the business. If you have found yourself a job in SSRS and you don’t know how to go about the interview questions, worry no more because we have got you covered. In this article we have covered the most common ssrs interview questions that you are likely to encounter during an interview. The good thing is that we have provided you with answers for each and every question. Below are the top 10 SRSS interview questions :
1. What are some of the important features of SSRS?
The following are some of the important features of SSRS that are very important when it comes to creating business reports.
- Reports can be built on excel, XML or any other multidimensional sources. It can recover data from OLE DB and ODBC connection providers.
- Supports SOAP (simple object access protocol) programming interface as well as pluggable architecture.
- Has automated option whereby one can subscribe reports to the mailbox, mobile, and the shared location of a user.
- The reports created on SSRS are exportable in different formats like HTML, PDF, XML, CSV and Excel.
- The users can create reports in various forms like matrix, charts, tabular and graphical just to give some examples.
- SSRS supports features that are web based and any person can interact with the server of the report on the web and can also view reports on the applications that are web based.
- Numbers of ad hoc can be easily created using images, graphics or some external contents and then save them in a server.
2. What are the pros of SSRS?
SQL server reporting services has the following advantages.
- It is faster to produce the final reports on multidimensional or relational data.
- SSRS makes it very easy to further analyze reports with multiple file format because it allows exportation of reports into various formats.
- SSRS makes it quite simple to deploy because the reports are stored in a single centralized web server where the users can run a report from any place.
- It makes the delivery of information to a business way faster and thus making better decisions.
- Anyone can manage SSRS, there is no need to hire a specialist with any special skills.
- One can apply security on folders and the reports and can be managed in a role based manner.
- The business users can simply interact with info without necessarily having to involve any IT specialist.
3. What are some of the drawbacks of SSRS?
SSRS is a great tool and it has a lot of advantages and benefits but as of everything, it has its downsides too and the following are some of the drawbacks.
- It is actually built for developers so if you want to make full use of all the features, you will need to learn the SQL functions as well as the SQL code which can be hard to understand for a regular and average business user.
- If you are to run huge reports that have a lot of data, it will take up a lot of resource on the server.
- It only run on windows so if a company is not using machines that use windows, it will not be able to take the advantage of SSRS.
- A separate server will be required to run reports on mobile phones and other mobile devices.
- Sometimes you may be required to hire an expert to help you debug custom code and expression.
4. What are the minimum requirements of SQL server reporting services?
The minimum requirements for SSRS include:
- A processor which is Intel Pentium II or above that.
- A RAM of 256 MB and 512 MB or above that depending on the requirements.
- A hard disk space of 50 MB for the report server, 145 MB for samples, 30 MB for report designer and 100 MB for net framework.
- SQL server 2000 that has service pack 3 that is standard, enterprise as well as developer edition.
5. What are the components of SSRS architecture?
The following are the vital components of SQL server reporting services.
- Data sources, the SQL server reporting services receives data from excel, XML, relational and Multidimensional data source.
- Report server, report server is a server that stores metadata information using SQL server reporting services server database engine.
- Report server database, this is used to store report definition, store metadata, security settings and data delivery as well as other information.
- Report manager, the web based reports can be accessed with the help of report manager.
- Report builder, this component serves as a report publishing tool executes reports from the computers of the clients.
- Report designer, this component is used to develop both simple and complex reports, in short it is used as a publishing tool.
6. List and explain the core components of SQL server reporting services.
The following are the core components of the SSRS.
- Full set of tools. It is used to develop, test and manage as well as view reports.
- Report server component. It is used to process report in the various formats that reports can be processed in i.e. HTML PDF, CVS, and excel among others.
- An application programming interface. This component is used to integrate with other applications and it is also used to build as well as manage reports.
7. What are the different types of reports that SSRS create?
Below are the different types of reports SRSS creates :
- Linked reports.
- Cached reports.
- Click through reports.
- Snapshot reports.
- Ad hoc reports.
- Drillthrough reports.
- Drilldown reports.
8. What are the different types of data sources that are supported in SSRS?
SQL server reporting services supports many data sources and the following are some of them:
- SAP BW
- OLE DB
9. How to deploy an SSRS Report?
Ans. Below are the ways to deploy an SRSS report :
- Configure project properties (for multiple environments) and deploy from bids
- Upload manually or
- Use rs.exe for command line deployment.
10. What Is Rs.exe Utility?
Ans. Rs.exe utility is used for deploying the report on report server. It is built in with the report server and can be customized.
SRSS Interview Questions And Answers PDF
You can also download SRSS interview questions and answers pdf from the link below :
Hope the above will help you in preparing for SRSS interviews.